Upcoming and Recent Changes
- If you purchased NoteBook from the Mac App Store, the very latest NoteBook update may not be available to you because Apple has not approved it.
- If you purchased NoteBook from the Circus Ponies Online Store, NoteBook’s Check for a New Version command may not report the very latest version available, but you can always download it from the downloads page.
NoteBook 3.1.9 1/6/2014
- Fixed a crasher under Mavericks.
- Fixed a problem entering due dates under Mavericks.
- Fixed a bug where folders added to a Notebook appeared with a generic file icon.
- Fixed a crasher related to the Stickies toolbar item.
- Fixed a bug where divider pages stopped showing physical page numbers when printed.
- Fixed the reemergence of a problem with the Keywords combo box where keywords would sometimes autocomplete into the text of outline items.
- Fixed a problem with voice recording from certain audio devices, caused by NoteBook attempting to write a value to a read-only parameter.
NoteBook 3.1.8 4/25/2013
- Reverted the app icon from Retina-ready to avoid a problem when running NoteBook on Leopard. Full Retina support will appear in a future update.
- Fixed a problem with the correct file icon image not appearing for some attachments.
- Fixed problems with the appearance of 2D/gray cell controls when printed.
- Fixed a bug where it was possible to add images for annotation to the Multidex divider page.
- Worked around or fixed several crashers, including one related to attachments in the text, and one related to using the Keywords combo box.
NoteBook 3.1.7 3/14/2013
- Fixed a bug where pressing the Option key in an untitled window would get the page bundle icon to appear in the title bar, but the Notebook window would move with the page bundle file icon if you tried to drag it out of the title bar.
- Fixed a bug where if you customized the font or color numbering style for a particular level, and then undid those customizations so that the level’s style matched the default numbering style, the level would not follow subsequent changes made to the default numbering style.
- Fixed a rare crasher when clicking on Notebook window elements.
- Fixed a bug where the Keyword combo box would sometimes auto-complete itself into the outline item you started typing in.
- Fixed a bug with Notebook’s URL generation code, so that it correctly generates URLs for schemes other than just http:.
- You can now Control-click a sticky note and get a contextual menu with a Delete command.
- Fixed a crasher related to reloading a Notebook after changes were made by another copy of NoteBook.
- Fixed a bug where some print settings, like expanding all outline items before printing, only took affect the second time you printed.
- Fixed a bug where some print settings, like expanding all outline items before printing, left the current Notebook page in an incorrect state (e.g. some items half expanded).
- Fixed a bug where the Multidex would ignore Chinese and Japanese word characters.
- Fixed a bug where when printing a long writing page, the page’s text would begin on the second printed page.
- Fixed a bug where if you attached a sticky flag to an outline item, clicking inside the flag to edit its text would disconnect it from the outline item.
- Fixed a bug with table expressions that include table cells that begin with a negative number.
- Fixed a bug where it was sometimes tricky to copy/paste content from Multidex pages.
- When saving for the first time or performing a Save As operation, NoteBook will end any voice annotation that’s currently taking place before saving.
- Fixed a bug related to scribbles.
- Fixed a problem with resizing the Notebook window from the lower-right corner when the binding style was set to pad. This is for NoteBook on Lion and Mountain Lion.
- Fixed a problem with disappearing images when dragging them into a Notebook window with an insertion point (with NoteBook preferences set to add files as file icons).
- Fixed a flicker problem with images when dragging them into a Notebook window with an insertion point (with NoteBook preferences set to add files as file icons).
- When dropping a file attachment below the text in a Writing or Cornell page, with add as file icon set, NoteBook now always displays a file icon (sometimes it would display a file-icon-sized thumbnail), does not add the file name or extra new line.
- Fixed a bug where shapes would sometimes print twice and partially cut-off when they appeared across physical page boundaries.
- Fixed a bug where a page’s background image (e.g. for PDF annotation) would sometimes display selection knobs.
- Fixed a problem where it sometimes wasn’t possible to delete attachments on writing pages.
NoteBook 3.1.3 6/28/2012
- Fixed a bug in the code that detects circular and invalid references in table expressions that would sometimes crash NoteBook.
- Fixed a bug with how NoteBook tracked table names.
- Fixed a bug with the colors NoteBook uses to draw table cells and identifiers when editing a table expression.
- Fixed a crasher related to one of the colors NoteBook uses to draw table cells and identifiers.
- Fixed problems with validating cell identifier references to external tables.
- Fixed a bug where if you added a page bundle that contained a table (or copy/pasted), cells with formulas were marked with an error because the cells they referenced had not yet been added.
- Fixed a bug where if a cell in table 1 referenced a cell in table 2, and you changed table 2’s name, the expression in the table 1 cell didn’t change to use the new name.
- Fixed an ink-related crasher.
- Fixed a problem where the Inspector’s Options tab option to apply settings to all XXX pages where XXX is a Cornell page or Writing page would apply settings to all Note pages.
- Worked around a problem with deleting left- or right-aligned images on Writing pages.
- Guarded against a crasher when importing OPML documents.
- Fixed a bug where the keyboard shortcuts for Outline -> Move -> Indent Siblings and Outline -> Move -> Unindent Children were swapped.
NoteBook 3.1.2 2/16/2012
- The Ink toolbar item menu now contains a command to turn off stroke smoothing, so that mouse and stylus strokes appear as they did before 3.1.
- When you tap the ink toolbar item to cycle through the pen modes, and the next mode is handwriting recognition, you will now only see one warning about handwriting recognition being turned off.
- Fixed a bug where NoteBook would throw exceptions if you Reverted a Notebook while editing an item.
- Fixed a bug with voice annotation when running NoteBook in Japanese.
- Fixed a problem where NoteBook would sometimes take a noticeable amount of time to start up if you have a lot of clipping services.
- Fixed a bug that prevented resizing of sticky notes and flags.
- Fixed a bug where the Delete command in the contextual menu that appeared when you Control-clicked an attachment did not delete the attachment in a Writing page, or sometimes deleted the attachment’s outline item.
- The contextual menu for text links to documents outside of a Notebook now includes a Reveal in Finder command.
- Fixed a problem where NoteBook would sometimes display an error message when clicking on a page’s name in the Multidex instead of taking you to a Divider page that contained the page.
- Guarded against an ink crasher.
- Fixed a problem where Multidex pages would sometimes not display highlighting for an outline item until you visited its page.
- If you switch away from NoteBook and the frontmost Notebook auto-covers, it no longer auto-uncovers when you switch back to NoteBook.
- Restored the Revert to Saved command when running on Lion (except if you’re running from the Mac App Store).
- Fixed a bug where outline items would sometimes appear clipped and/or shifted down onscreen or when printing.
- Fixed a rare outline item layout crasher.
- Fixed a problem where the E-mail Page as PDF command would fail if slashes were part of the page’s name.
- Fixed a problem where the left edge of a page’s leftmost attribute column would sometimes be clipped.
- Fixed a bug where clicking outside of a shape did not deselect the selected shapes on the page.
If you are experiencing issues or crashers not addressed in the latest update, please let us know using our support form.
NoteBook 3.1.11 12/20/2013
Note: because of changes Apple made to iOS 7, it is not currently possible to add images from your image library directly (i.e. by way of the Add button in the pencil bar) to a NoteBook page. As a workaround, you can launch the Photos app, copy the desired image, and then paste it into NoteBook. We plan to work around this problem in a future update to NoteBook for iPad.
- Fixed a bug with syncing large Notebooks from Dropbox for the first time. Because of how Dropbox rate limits data and files pulled from its service, you will often see sync errors the first time you sync a large Notebook from Dropbox, and some of the Notebook's images and data files might be missing. Previously if you performed a resync NoteBook would not recognize that those files still needed to be downloaded and would report that the sync succeeded. But when you opened the Notebook, images would be missing and pages would report that their data was missing. Now, NoteBook correctly detects that page and other files are missing and redownloads them. Again, because of Dropbox rate limiting you may see a sync error after your second sync - just keep tapping the sync button until NoteBook reports that the sync succeeded. You will eventually notice that the sync bar makes more and more progress with each sync. Once the sync succeeds, the Notebook will be fully downloaded.
- Fixed a bug in how NoteBook’s RTF writer saved out tab characters.
NoteBook 3.1.10 8/23/2013
- Fixed a crasher when running NoteBook on iOS 7.
NoteBook 3.1.9 8/9/2013
- Fixed problems with running NoteBook on iOS 7. Please note: iOS 7-related UI updates will appear in a future version.
- Fixed a bug that disabled horizontal page scrolling at 100% magnification.
- Changed how NoteBook renders PDFs. NoteBook should now properly observe parameters like the crop box, etc.
- Fixed a rare Dropbox crasher.
NoteBook 3.1.8 4/25/2013
- Fixed a bug where e-mailing a page would leave out items if there was a selection.
- Fixed some issues with Retina artwork.
- Made a change with stickies to fix problem with sticky notes remaining on the screen from previous pages or Notebooks.
- Fixed a problem with printing page ranges.
- Fixed a problem caused by switching to the MyNotebooks view while editing a sticky note.
- Note: NoteBook for iPad 3.1.5 or higher is required to continue syncing your Notebooks via Dropbox. Dropbox will block previous versions of NoteBook for iPad from accessing your Dropbox account.
NoteBook 3.1.7 3/14/2013
- Fixed a bug where NoteBook reported the wrong version number.
- Fixed a crasher with deleting Divider Page names.
NoteBook 3.1.6 2/25/2013
- Fixed a bug where a narrow black band would appear near the end of the pencil bar in landscape view.
- Fixed a crasher related to adding new sticky notes.
- When you tap a page with no selection you now get the option to paste the current outline item or shape from the clipboard.
- Addressed a problem with cleaning up after background tasks.
- Worked around a long-standing bug in the iOS that would cause extra Return characters to get added when typing using a Bluetooth keyboard.
- Worked around a problem with incorrect PDF generation. The issue appears to be related to showing the progress alert if the PDF generation is taking more than a short amount of time. The workaround is to show the progress alert from the very start, so this alert will now appear whenever you export to PDF.
- Fixed a problem with attachments when printing or generating PDF on a Retina iPad.
NoteBook 3.1.5 2/5/2013
- Includes the new Dropbox SDK. This update is required to continue syncing your Notebooks via Dropbox. Dropbox will block previous versions of NoteBook for iPad from accessing your Dropbox account.
- Fixed a crasher related to exporting notes as e-mail when an outline item included an inline attachment.
- When exporting notes as e-mail, NoteBook now sets the subject of the e-mail to the name of the page.
- Fixed a bug where in printed output that included a PDF attachment, the PDF would be added as a bitmap instead of as a scalable vector.
- Fixed a bug where the right margin would sometimes get set within an outline item’s text.
- Fixed a bug where highlighting and URL links occurring after an inline attachment in an outline item would drift slightly after each save.
- Fixed a bug where PDF and printed output would sometimes be clipped along the right and bottom edges.
- Fixed a bug where the Elements pane in the Add button popover would sometimes not display the correct options.
- More changes to fix a crasher when editing a newly-created page’s name.
- Fixed a bug where buttons in the MyNotebooks view were enabled even when there were no Notebooks.
- Fixed a bug with setting the default paper style in NoteBook App Preferences.
- Fixed a bug with the appearance of the paper swatch on the Retina display in NoteBook App Preferences.
NoteBook 3.1.3 10/9/2012
- You can now export notes to e-mail, from the new Export button in the pencil bar.
- You can now generate PDFs from your pages, from the new Export button in the pencil bar.
- You can now print, from the new Export button in the pencil bar.
- You can now configure the status area to display the current word and character count, which shows the count for the entire current page (tap and hold the status area, which normally says "No. 2", to see a list of options). When you make a selection, it shows the stats just for the selection.
- NoteBook now supports the iPad Retina display.
- Fixed a bug where outline items in single-line mode on iOS would not expand to show their full text when you double-tapped them to edit.
- Fixed a slowdown when drawing Divider pages on the Retina display.
- Worked around a bug in iOS 6 that resulted in an empty Action menu in the Quick Look panel (the Quick Look panel lets you preview the contents of an attachment, and the Action menu lets you open the quick-looked attachment to another application).
- Fixed a bug where changes you made to the numbering font or color settings were not retained.
- iOS apps apparently have trouble deciding the best string type to paste from the clipboard. For example, when copying text from NoteBook and pasting into Safari, the result is rich text code because Safari apparently thinks that the Rich Text format is the best string format to accept. For this reason, NoteBook no longer makes RTF available to other apps from the clipboard.
- Fixed a bug with the Font list family display.
- Fixed a Shape inspector crasher.
- Fixed a crasher related to switching Notebooks.
- Fixed a Voice Annotation crasher.
- Fixed another Dropbox-sync crasher.